31 August 2009

A Low Threshold for Irritation

You know, this whole student teaching thing would be FINE if people could get their shit together. The kids? The kids are fine. The planning? The planning is fine. The bureaucracy of coordinating staff members and meetings and requirements? JUST KILL ME NOW.

1) Another staff meeting today. Another 2 hours I'll never get back. Also, no prep period today. I really need to write lesson plans, but when I get home at 5:30 and then Andrew leaves and then the dog immediately throws up on the floor? I just don't feel like it, dude. I really don't.

2) Apparently, this fine state requires student teachers to have two preps, and teach four classes. This means: to get my certification, I need to plan two sets of lesson plans for two completely different courses, and teach four classes a day. My coordinating teacher only TEACHES four courses, and is pretty much totally unwilling to let me have all four of them. That's fine, I guess; I can understand not wanting to do anything all day, every day, for the next 3.5 months. So, she said I could have one section of each of her classes--one World Lit, and one American Lit. I emailed my school adviser about this to see if it was copacetic, and his response was: AW HELL NAW, GIRL.

Okay, so what he really said was that the four classes requirement is indeed a requirement, and that I need to fulfill it. He suggested that I teach another teacher's class(es). I say: that's cool, dude, but that gives me three preps and that is more work than this fine state requires and so I'm not going to do that.

The only reasonable conclusion is for my coordinating teacher to give me her whole courseload, which I am NOT stoked about (but whatever), and which she isn't going to do (a big problem). I guess I will have to email her and say: hi, I need to teach everything, kthanxbai, please call my advisor at 555-2929.

3) We are supposed to be observed 4 times throughout the semester by our advisers. In the response email I got about all this stupid prep/classes business, my adviser also threw in this: "I'm going to come observe you next week so Mapquest me some directions OKAY!" I responded: "You are welcome to come visit next week, but I will not be teaching, so I'm not sure how much there will be to actually 'observe.'" HEY! Here's an idea! HOW ABOUT WE FIND A TIME TOGETHER, rather than you TELLING ME when you're going to show up!


!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

INSERT GRATUITOUS FRUSTRATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment