03 September 2009

2nd Thursday

In the words of Paula Deen: HEY Y'ALL!

I'm happy to say that the concern regarding my 2 preps / 4 classes issue has been alleviated. The plan--which has been cleared by my university adviser--is for me to teach one 50-minute American Literature, one 50-minute World Literature, and one 100-minute World Literature. The 100-minute World Literature, being a double bell, will count as two classes. I'm happy with this compromise, I think, though it means two things:
1) I will have two coordinating teachers, as the 100-minute World Literature is taught by a different teacher than my assigned coordinating teacher. I am okay w/ this, though, because I like this second teacher pretty well and she seems to be happy to give me free rein to do whatever I want.
2) I'm not really sure how I'm going to go about planning for a double bell. The 100-minute class is only held twice a week, so I think the theory is that I will cram two lessons into one period (i.e. I will plan four lessons for World Literature per week; I will teach each one once, to my 50-minute period, and smush two together for my two 100-minute periods). I'm not really sure how that will work without boring my students to tears, so we'll see.

The first book I'm teaching for World Literature is about China, so at the very least, one Thursday I can be all, "SURPRISE!!!" and let them order Chinese food BECAUSE IT'S TOPICAL.

I also find that I am tired ALL THE TIME. I am tired in the morning. I am tired on the bus. I am tired at school, to the point that sometimes I feel like I'm observing my students through a pane of dirty glass. I am tired when I get home. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to the different sleep / time schedule, but DAMN! At first, I kept thinking, How was I able to go to bed at midnight and get up at 6:00 a.m. every day in high school?! But then I realized--ah, yes. I was SEVENTEEN. That explains a lot.

Today is Thursday, which means my best pal will come over later, and we'll eat dinner at watch Project Runway. And tomorrow is Friday. And after that is a 3-day weekend.

All in all, things are pretty good.

1 comment: